- The academic scholarships provided by the Nicholas Patterson Perpetual Fund were established under the Last Will and Testament of the late Nicholas D. Patterson. Mr. Patterson, who lived to the age of 103, was a self-educated man who during the course of his lifetime developed an admiration as well as an appreciation for those who studied hard and worked to try and achieve their goals through education and citizenship. The Patterson Fund scholarships are not intended to pay a student's entire tuition but to help lessen their financial burden. Tuition assistance may include help reducing educational costs such as purchase of books, computers, supplies etc. For the most part the scholarships are for Erie county residents. Recipients do not have to matriculate in schools in Erie County. Click Here to view recipients. For the fall 2021 school year scholarships will be in the amount of $2000.
LETS GET STARTED!
The academic scholarships provided by the Nicholas Patterson Perpetual Fund were established under the Last Will and Testament of the late Nicholas D. Patterson. Mr. Patterson was a self-educated man, who during the course of his lifetime (he lived to 103) developed an admiration as well as an appreciation for those who studied hard and worked to try and achieve their goals through education and citizenship. The Patterson Fund scholarships are not intended to pay a student's entire tuition, but to help lessen their financial burden. For the fall 2021 school year scholarships will be in the amount of $2000.
- Mr. Patterson's will dictates that all applicants for this scholarship must be residents of Erie County in New York State.
- Recipients do not have to matriculate in schools in Erie County.
- All applicants, regardless of academic standing, get equal consideration.
- Financial means is not the sole consideration.
A Committee consisting of three members reads the scholarship applications and provides recommendations to the Trustee of the foundation as to the fitness of each applicant. No candidate will be eliminated from selection because he/she is not an outstanding student or has financial means. However, candidates who do not follow the instructions (see below) will not receive consideration. The purpose of the scholarship is to help develop the skills necessary to become hard working citizens, who upon the completion of their studies will be ready to contribute to their community and their country.Print Let`s Get Started
INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE ADMINISTRATOR
In order to be considered for a scholarship you must follow the instructions completely and submit your application by the submission deadline.
- We will need you to fill out forms A, B & C completely.
Remember to download and save all three (3) files. You should be
able to fill them out and then save them to your computer. Then
you can attach them to the email when you submit them. You can
also print them, fill out and scan if needed.
- Form A: Applicant Information:
- Form B: Applicant Financial Information
- Form C: Parent / Guardian / Spouse Financial Information
- Please answer the Biographical question. No longer than one
page single spaced.
Tell us about yourself, your life experiences, why the Patterson Scholarship is important to you and what differentiates you from other applicants?
Please answer ONE of the essay questions below. Please answer all parts within the one that you choose! One page single spaced.1. More than 500,000 Americans have died from the Corona Virus Covid -19. Some Americans believe that having to wear a mask and keep a social distance (at least 6 feet) from other humans during a pandemic violates their civil rights. Which civil right is being violated and by whom? Does it matter if it is only voluntary or if it is mandated by the government? Do you wear a mask and social distance?
You can use Pandemic issues in either question to refute or expand your ideas!
2. Many students are being burned out by audio/visual (remote) learning and feel that their energy needed for concentration and learning is waning. They are concerned that remote education is not as good as it would be in school. What is your experience with remote learning? Can you learn as much as you did in school?
- Please include recommendations. One is
acceptable but two would be preferred. Keep in mind that we do not
want old recycled recommendations!
- A copy of your academic transcripts. It
can be the unofficial version and there is no page limit.
***The administrator loves one pdf with all of these items, but you can attach them all separately as well. You can also put them in the mail, but email is preferred. If you get them in earlier than the due date the administrator can go over it and make sure it is complete (hint). ***
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- PRINTED APPLICATION
- Mail To:
- Nicholas Patterson Fund
- P.O. Box 192
- Buffalo, NY 14213-0192
- Mail To:
- ELECTRONIC APPLICATION
- You may scan all pages into one PDF document.
- You may submit any combination of PDF and word processing
- Acceptable file formats:
- Acceptable file formats:
- Email To:
- IMPORTANT: Please Include Your Last & First Name In All Document Filenames.
- All scholarship applications must be received by June 7th, 2021
SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT ANNOUNCEMENT DATE
- The Patterson Fund trustees will set the scholarship
recipient announcement date after all applications have been
- This date changes from year to year based on the number of
applications received and it could be into late July!
- We will email all scholarship applicants the results and post them on this website when decided. Make sure your email is current. High school email is not always the best because you won’t have them for much longer!
MEMO TO SCHOOL FINANCIAL ADVISERS
- For your convenience, the memo to school financial advisers is made available as a downloadable PDF file.
- Questions about the scholarship application:
- Questions about the website:
- Have a suggestion for us?