- The academic scholarships provided by the Nicholas Patterson Perpetual Fund were established under the Last Will and Testament of the late Nicholas D. Patterson. Mr. Patterson, who lived to the age of 103, was a self-educated man who during the course of his lifetime developed an admiration as well as an appreciation for those who studied hard and worked to try and achieve their goals through education and citizenship. The Patterson Fund scholarships are not intended to pay a student's entire tuition but to help lessen their financial burden. Tuition assistance may include help reducing educational costs such as purchase of books, computers, supplies etc. For the most part the scholarships are for Erie county residents. Recipients do not have to matriculate in schools in Erie County. Click Here to view recipients. For the fall 2020 school year scholarships will be in the amount of $2000.
LETS GET STARTED!
The academic scholarships provided by the Nicholas Patterson Perpetual Fund were established under the Last Will and Testament of the late Nicholas D. Patterson. Mr. Patterson was a self-educated man, who during the course of his lifetime (he lived to 103) developed an admiration as well as an appreciation for those who studied hard and worked to try and achieve their goals through education and citizenship. The Patterson Fund scholarships are not intended to pay a student's entire tuition, but to help lessen their financial burden. For the fall 2020 school year scholarships will be in the amount of $2000.
- Mr. Patterson's will dictates that all applicants for this scholarship must be residents of Erie County in New York State.
- Recipients do not have to matriculate in schools in Erie County.
- All applicants, regardless of academic standing, get equal consideration.
- Financial means is not the sole consideration.
A Committee consisting of three members reads the scholarship applications and provides recommendations to the Trustee of the foundation as to the fitness of each applicant. No candidate will be eliminated from selection because he/she is not an outstanding student or has financial means. However, candidates who do not follow the instructions (see below) will not receive consideration. The purpose of the scholarship is to help develop the skills necessary to become hard working citizens, who upon the completion of their studies will be ready to contribute to their community and their country.Print Let`s Get Started
INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE ADMINISTRATOR
In order to be considered for a scholarship you must follow the instructions completely and submit your application by the submission deadline.
- We will need you to fill out forms A, B & C completely.
Remember to download and save all three (3) files. You should be
able to fill them out and then save them to your computer. Then
you can attach them to the email when you submit them. You can
also print them, fill out and scan if needed.
- Please answer the Biographical question. No longer than one
page single spaced.
Tell us about yourself, your life experiences, why the Patterson Scholarship is important to you and what differentiates you from other applicants?
- Please answer ONE of the essay questions
that we have asked. One page single spaced.
The stock market is at an all-time high, and the unemployment rate is at an all-time low. Yet, there are many people still struggling to survive. Is there an Affordability Crisis in America? What if any impact has this crisis had on your family, friends or people you know?
Will online shopping eventually cause the end of mall shopping? Will online shopping eventually cause the elimination of most retail jobs especially jobs held by students and older Americans? How do you decide whether to shop online or go to a store? Are you being fair to store employees and store owners?? Do you see a future for shopping in stores?
- Please include recommendations. One is
acceptable but two would be preferred. Keep in mind that we do not
want old recycled recommendations!
- A copy of your academic transcripts. It
can be the unofficial version and there is no page limit.
***The administrator loves one pdf with all of these items, but you can attach them all separately as well. You can also put them in the mail, but email is preferred. If you get them in earlier than the due date the administrator can go over it and make sure it is complete (hint). ***
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- PRINTED APPLICATION
- Mail To:
- Nicholas Patterson Fund
- P.O. Box 192
- Buffalo, NY 14213-0192
- Mail To:
- ELECTRONIC APPLICATION
- You may scan all pages into one PDF document.
- You may submit any combination of PDF and word processing
- Acceptable file formats:
- Acceptable file formats:
- Email To:
- IMPORTANT: Please Include Your Last & First Name In All Document Filenames.
- All scholarship applications must be received by June 3rd, 2020
SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT ANNOUNCEMENT DATE
- The Patterson Fund trustees will set the scholarship
recipient announcement date after all applications have been
- This date changes from year to year based on the number of
applications received and it could be into late July!
- We will email all scholarship applicants the results and post them on this website when decided. Make sure your email is current. High school email is not always the best because you won’t have them for much longer!
MEMO TO SCHOOL FINANCIAL ADVISERS
- For your convenience, the memo to school financial advisers is made available as a downloadable PDF file.